What we did today at... The Craft Cafe...

Every School Holiday, for the past, hmmmm, 4 and a half years? I have run what we called The Craft Cafe.
2 hours of creative mayhem for local children aged 3-13yrs. Todays theme was: ROBOTS!! There are various tables with different crafting activities, all set up and ready for when the families arrive... and one fantastic Crafter had already started his own ROBOT and decided to bring it along:

The children's joy, enthusiasm and talents! really astound me. Before i worked in 'craft' i worked with children. I loved it (love it still)
Parents, Grandparents, siblings, dads... they all pitch in with the children and the atmosphere is lovely.
Seeing the Dads get stuck in, really warms my soul... "Boys don't like Craft": what hogwash! The boys who attend are always hugely creative and enthusiastic - they often come and tell me their ideas for 'next time'
I average about 35 children per morning's session. Today's attendance hit an all time high with 50 children involved in crafting!! Plus a few extra babies who were passed from sticky handed to cake-y fingered adults.
I imagine that the parents are relieved to be able to 'walk away' from the mess at the end. The children seem happy that there are no real 'rules' for 2 solid hours and they can use as much of the crafty stuff as they want. As it's local, they get to see a few friends or meet some new faces too.


The activities were appropriate for ages 3 - 13yrs, with Robot puppets and badges. Design your own paper robot (and laminate him / her... Ooooh we all loved the laminating today)
And, the EVER popular "Junk Table" where anything goes!

You might imagine that a hall full of 50 children, plus adults, was rather chaotic? But children are not chaotic and hectic by nature - quite the opposite. Children are clever, observant, dilligent, curious and creative. It is just that THEY choose when to apply all these skills. Today was one of those occasions.


Of course, there is the 'Cafe' side to all this creativity. Today the Cafe was run by my Sister-in-Law to raise funds for the local Playgroup Association. mMMMmmmMM cakes....
I loved it!! ....I am also knackered.
I know not all the Crafters from today will read this but, if you do drop by, thankyou so much for coming, it was a great way to spend a VERY snowy half term Thursday xxx

12 comments:

nickynackynoo said...

I am truly in awe of you! Have you ever thought of franchising your idea?

Elderberry-Rob said...

wow, you enjoyed it? Who cleared up the mess? not you I hope.

Lucy Jackson Designs said...

I just love reading your blog Kirsty, it always makes me smile.
This post is particularly relevant as i have signed up to do a kids crafting/demo/come and try event in the easter hollidays, i am not expecting anywhere near the ammount of children you have but your photos fill me with the confidence that it is going to be a really fun afternoon.

Bliss Knits said...

Wow, it sounds as if you had a hectic day - but so worthwhile. The kids (and adults) looked as if they had great fun and what talent! Some fab robots there!

Tina Peacock said...

Is there no end to your multi- tasking talents? You, as always, are so inspiring! I would have loved to come to this with the little moo's if only I lived nearby x

menopausalmusing said...

Well done you! What a lovely event to have organised and laid on. They must have all had a fantastic time.

TopCat76 said...

Oh my, I seriously hope that when my daughter is old enough that there is something like this for us in holidays! I am *green* with envy!!!

LPFish said...

ohhh - yep, i genuinely love it!
There are usually about 3 of us who clear away at the end.. Me, ManFish and My Mum.
Yes, i have thought about franchising it as i get asked to run these all over the County / private parties etc... there are too few hours in my week :)

Tina Peacock said...

Aaww, thank you for you kind comment on my blog! I have to admit, the idea has crossed my mind & I know just the perfect little village hall too!Thank you for the encouragement x

Elderberry-Rob said...

quick with the franchise thingy before somebody steels your lovely hard work and ideas. xxx

meplusmolly said...

Ere now, you can franchise to me ol'MsFish for this corner of the country! I'm also CRB checked, so have all the paperwork!!
Great robots, go creative children! ;0 X

Alexandra said...

that looks so much fun and very tiring xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails